Source of acquisition:
The items in sections Par/174/1, 8, 9, 12, 13, and 31, together with Par/174/2/1, 2; 3/1; 4/2-5; 6/1-3; 7/2-11; 15/1,2; 24/5, 6; 25/1-7 were deposited by the incumbent in 1968, 1981 and March 2000.
Item Par/174/2/3 was deposited by the Society of Genealogists in April 1973.
Items Par/174/3/1, 4/1, and 7/1 were deposited by the family of Bishop Horden, (rector of Singleton from 1895 to 1913) in 1956.
Items Par/174/2/4,5; 4/18-28; 6/4-7; 7/18-24; 11/1-5; 15/6; 24/7-9; 25/8-10 are papers of Elizabeth Doff, a former churchwarden, deposited in January 2005.
Items Par/174/4/6-17; 6/2,3; 7/15-17; 15/3-5 are papers of the Rev. John Bishop, a former incumbent, deposited in April 2002.
Section 30 was deposited by the Chichester Rural District Council in 1962.
The items in sections 43, 44, 49, 51, 53 and 54, together with 24/1-4, were deposited by the Parish Council in 1966, June 1992, January 1993 and February and November 2000
Church of England, Singleton Parish, West Sussex; Singleton parish Council, West Sussex
Surviving medieval sources indicate, but do not prove absolutely, that Singleton church was originally dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The dedication appears to have been lost after the Reformation, and the church was simply referred to as the parish church. A misreading by C. Gibbon in 'Dedications of Churches and Chapels in West Sussex' (SAC vol. 12, 1860) of money bequeathed to Sir John of Singleton as money bequeathed to St. John of Singleton, led to the belief for the next century that the church was dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. When the error was discovered, the church was rededicated in March 1979, and is now the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Singleton. (See SAC vol. 118, p.385-387)