Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

RECORDS OF THE LITTLEMORE ASYLUM


The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below. See the entire contents of the catalogue

Reference H1
Covering dates 1841 - 1948
Held by Oxfordshire Record Office
Extent 125 volumes, bundles and plans
Conditions of access H1/CV3/CO/2 is closed to public inspection until 2047
Archival history The earliest records in this collection are those which belonged to J M Davenport, the first Clerk to the Committee of Visitors. This were originally deposited in the Bodleian Library but were transferred to Oxfordshire Archives in 1968. (Acc.742). The remainder of the collection has its provenance in County Hall; many of the financial records were deposited by the office of the County Treasurer and the records of the Committee of Visitors were probably held in the office of the Clerk to the Council as he often doubled up as Clerk to the Committee of Visitors. These would have been transfered to the Record Office when the National Health Service took over the running of the asylum in 1948.
Creators Littlemore Asylum, 1846-1922; Oxford County and City Mental Asylum


Administrative history:
Littlemore Asylum opened in 1846 and was the first provision for pauper lunatics in the county. It was originally under the jurisdiction of the magistrates of the Oxfordshire Quarter Sessions and later of the County Council. The City of Oxford formed a Union with the County in December 1846 agreeing to pay a share of the cost of building and maintaining the asylum in return for a fixed number of beds for their own lunatics. Berkshire joined this Union in August 1847, bringing with it the boroughs of Abingdon and Windsor and Reading also joined in January 1848. These additions to the Union necessitated additions to the buildings themselves and two new wings were built in 1848. The Union however was dissolved in 1869 when Reading wholly withdrew and Berkshire partly withdrew as their own Berkshire Asylum opened in 1870. Abingdon withdrew from the new Union in 1890 and Windsor in 1897. The loss in partners though did not lessen the pressure for new beds; there were extensions in 1883 and 1901. During the First World War the Asylum was transformed from May 1918-Aug 1920 into the Ashurst War Hospital, and in the Second World War the military took over some of the wards. The asylum (called The Oxford County and City Mental Hospital from 1922) was transferred to the control of the National Health Service in 1948.
N.B. Where the term "Union" is used in this catalogue it refers to the Union of those participating counties and boroughs who shared the cost of maintaining the asylum and who sent their pauper lunatics to it.


Contents:
The records themselves can be split into 3 parts:
- The administrative records of the Committee of Visitors including minute books, reports and correspendence
- The financial records of the different accounts of the Asylum
- Various plans and specifications of building work in the Asylum
Other records concerning Littlemore Asylum are kept in the following repositories:
Town Hall:
Lists of lunatics 1847-1866
Death notices 1847-1853
Correspondence of the Town Clerk re joining the Union
Printed acts
Littlemore Hospital:
Admission and discharge records 1846-197
Clinical and patient records 1846-1986
Nursing records 1978-1985
Financial records 1930-1967
Administrative records 1882-1982
Pictorial records 1941
Linnell and Murphy, solicitors:
Correspondence and deeds re the purchase of land for the Asylum
Insurance policies
Title deeds




The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Oxfordshire Record Office
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Oxfordshire Record Office