Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

BOLTON COUNTY BOROUGH RECORDS


The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below. See the entire contents of the catalogue

Reference AB
Covering dates 1838-1974
Held by Bolton Archive and Local Studies Service
Extent 52 Sub fonds
Creators Bolton Borough Council; Bolton County Borough Council
Related information Records of other local authorities which exercised administrative powers within the former County Borough area are available; these include the following:
Bolton Board of Guardians, 1837 - 1930. List GBO
Bolton Rural Sanitary Authority later Rural District Council, 1872 - 1898. List AR
Astley Bridge Local Board of Health later Urban District Council, 1864 - 1898. List AS
Bolton School Board, 1870 - 1903. List SBB
Heaton School Board, 1883 - 1898. List SBHe
Turton & Entwistle Reservoir Commissioners, 1831 - 1863. List UWT
Bolton Gas Company, 1818 - 1872. List UGB
Great Bolton Improvement Trustees, 1792 - 1850. List TGB
Little Bolton Improvement Trustees, 1816 - 1850. List TLB
Township Records, including Great Bolton, Little Bolton, Halliwell, Middle Hulton, Lostock, etc., various dates. List P
Several series of family and business records also contain a considerable amount of material relating to the administration of the Borough; most notable are:
Heywood Papers - correspondence of Robert Heywood, councillor & alderman of Bolton, Mayor 1839-1840, 1800-1868. List ZHE
Albinson Collection - maps & plans of John Albinson of Bolton, relating to improvement schemes, enclosure, water supply, road construction, etc., 1780 - 1850. List ZAL
Thompson Collection - maps, plans, estate papers, etc., formerly preserved amongst the archives of Messrs Joseph Jackson & Sons, land agents & surveyors of Bolton, 1800 - 1900. List ZJA


Administrative history:
The Borough of Bolton, which then consisted of the Townships of Great Bolton, Little Bolton part, and the Haulgh district of Tonge-with-Haulgh, was incorporated in 1838, under the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. It was extended in 1872, when part of Rumworth Township was added, and again in 1877, by the addition of part of Halliwell. The Bolton, Turton, and Westhoughton Extension Act of 1898 enabled the Borough to expand still further, to include most of the surrounding rural and suburban areas. Under the Local Government Act of 1972, Bolton County Borough became a constituent part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in Greater Manchester County, with effect from 1st April 1974


Contents:
This collection contains miscellaneous committee and sub-committee minutes books, and abstracts of proceedings




The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Bolton Archive and Local Studies Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Bolton Archive and Local Studies Service