Hele's Charity [no ref. or date]
By indenture dated 9 January 1632 between Elize Hele and John Maynard, later Sir John Maynard, John Hele and Elize Stert, the former dedicated his estate to charitable and godly use. Elize Hele granted the following lands, including the manors of Fardel, Dinnaton, Brixton Reigny, Cofleet, Halwill, Teignharvey, Clyst St Lawrence and Clyst Gerrard, also the rectory of Woolvington and St Giles in the Heath. In 1649 John Maynard and Elize Stert, as surviving trustees of the estate, granted the lands and the profits of them to be enjoyed by the governors, assistants and wardens of the Hospital of the Poors Portion, Plymouth, for the education of poor children.
John Maynard and Elize Stert had also purchased an estate in 1656 at Lower Creeson, Mary Tavy, out of the funds of the Hele Charity. Yearly accounts were complied each November and money was to be used to build a schoolhouse at Plympton St Maurice and to buy lands at Brixton to support the preaching minister.
An indenture of 17-18 December 1658 between the Hele Charity trustees and the city of Exeter and governors of St John's Foundlings Hospital, Exeter, granted the profits of the manor of Clyst St Lawrence, Clyst St Gerrard and Teignharvey, as well as Torre House, Newton Ferrers to the hospital for the maintenance of the poor children.
The heirs of Sir John Maynard were the Earl of Ancram, Lady Suffield, Viscount Valletort and Viscountess Castlereagh.