The Burdett family was formerly of Bramcote in Warwickshire and first became involved with Foremark through the marriage of Sir Thomas Burdett of Bramcote with Jane Fraunces of Foremark in 1602. Jane was daughter and heiress of William Fraunces of Foremark and niece and heiress (through her mother) of John Fraunces of Ticknall. Sir Thomas and Jane Burdett's descendents succeeded therefore to both the Fraunces of Foremark and Fraunces of Ticknall estates. Thomas was created 1st baronet of Bramcote and the family continued to hold property and serve as local officers in Warwickshire.
Sir Francis Burdett (1770-1844), the 5th baronet, was a prominent politician associated with prison reform, Catholic Emancipation and the Reform Act of 1832. His marriage to Sophia Coutts allied the family to the London banking family with extensive properties in Wiltshire. The baronetcy became extinct in 1951.
Sir Robert Burdett, the 4th baronet, rebuilt Foremark Hall in the 1760s, following extensive alterations to the grounds in the 1730s. Foremark Hall ceased to be the main family seat when Ramsbury, Wiltshire was preferred in the early nineteenth century, the family having inherited estates there in 1800.
The records include title deeds, estate papers, surveys and maps for properties in Foremark, Ingleby, Stanton by Bridge, Stapenhill, Repton and Milton, 16th-19th centuries. Out-county properties include Bramcote, Warwickshire, Lichfield and Harlaston, Staffordshire, and properties in Shropshire, Norfolk and Leicestershire 15th-19th centuries. There are manorial court records for Repton Priors 1702, Thorpe Constantine, Suffolk, 1584 and Tinton in Woodchurch and Warehouse, Kent 1608-1656.
The household account books 1758-1797, many written by the 4th baronet (1716-1797) who was responsible for the rebuilding of Foremark Hall in Palladian style about 1760 and for commissioning designs for the grounds in the 1730s, include information about servants, and the agent's correspondence 1872-1940 covers all aspects of the estate. The design for the gardens, undated but probably c1737, is particularly noteworthy. Inventories for the house 1892-1925 have survived. There are also papers relating to the building under Sir Francis Burdett, the 2nd baronet, of St. Saviour's church in Foremark 1661-1679.
A Robert Burdett was a partner in a merchant trading enterprise with Alicante, Spain, which is recorded in a letter book 1648-1652.
The records also include accounts of the 2nd baronet as a trustee for Sir Robert Shirley of Staunton Harold, Leicestershire 1655-1667; of the 3rd baronet's wardship of Sir John Harpur and his sister 1684-1692, and the 4th baronet's accounts as executor of Sir Henry Harpur, 1748.
D5054/1 Manorial, 16th-18th century
D5054/2-10 Title deeds, 16th-19th century
D5054/11 Leases, 19th century and 1900
D5054/12 Family and business, 16th-18th Century
D5054/13-15 Estate and household accounts, 17th-19th century
D5054/16 Wardship, executors and trustees' accounts, 17th-18th century
D5054/17-18 Estate surveys and papers, 15th-19th century
D5054/19-22 Agents' estate correspondence and financial records, late 19th-early 20th century
D5054/23 Foremark Hall inventories etc., late 19th-early 20th century
D5054/24 Legal papers, 15th century
D5054/25 Miscellaneous, 16th-18th century
D5054/26 Maps, 18th-19th century
D5054/27-34 Family and title deeds, 18th-20th century