Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

MACCLESFIELD CHRIST CHURCH PARISH


The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below. See the entire contents of the catalogue

Reference P84
Covering dates 1599-1953
Held by Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Extent 16 Series
Archival history It was not until 1830, however, that the Christ Church registers were transferred there. From that date until the latter part of the nineteenth century two series of registers were kept, one at each of the two churches. The registers listed below are those which were kept at St. Michael's church. They were returned to the custody of the Vicar of Christ Church in the 1960s, and were deposited by him in January 1972.
Source of acquisition Received from Rev J C G Staley
261 Oxford Road
Macclesfield
Date 14 Oct. 1983 Accession No. 3349 Class Ref. P84/3349/1-16
Received from Rev. J. C. G. Staley
261 Oxford Road
Macclesfield
Date 13 July 1984 Accession No. 3498 Class Ref. P84/3498/1-3
Received from Rev J C G Staley
261 Oxford Road
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Date 13 Feb. 1985 Accession. No 3609 Class Ref. P84/3609/1-2
Received from Rev J C G Staley
261 Oxford Street
Macclesfield SK11 8JY
Date 18 Oct 1985 Accession No. 3685 Class Ref. P84/3685/1-4
Received from Rev John Staley
261 Oxford Road MACCLESFIELD
Date 12 Sep. 1986 Accession No. 3763 Class Ref. P84/3763
Acc 4691 pt P84/4691/1-2
Copies information 1732-1972 on fiche 6/6
M1 ion fiche 8/24
Creators Church of England, Macclesfield Christ Church Parish, Cheshire
Related information Placed with Bishop's Transcripts EDB
Transcripts of registers of baptisms and burials. 1815


Administrative history:
Christ Church was built in 1775 at the expense of Charles Roe, a wealthy manufacturer of Macclesfield, and was consecrated in 1779. In 1778 an Act of Parliament 19 Geo.III c.7 was passed for making the church a perpetual cure and benefice, and for endowing it and vesting the right of nomination and presentation in Charles Roe, his heirs and assigns. A district was assigned to the church in 1888.
The Act of 1778 contained provisions for registering christenings and burials at the 'old Chapel', i.e. Macclesfield St. Michael


Contents:
Early Register. 1773-1828.
Registers of Christenings. 1813-1875.
Registers of Burials. 1813-1857.
Registers of Marriage, Registers of Confirmations, Registers of Services, Church Site and Buildings, Benefice, Church Accounts, Minutes, Charities, Schools, Ladies' Guild, Portraits of Vicars, Parish Magazines, Miscellanea, Papers relating to Rev Benjamin Cliff




The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service