HOLLINFARE Parish Records
|Source of acquisition
||Acc 4295, 4321
||Church of England, Hollinfare Parish, Cheshire
||VCH Lancs volume III, p340
There was probably a chapel here prior to the one built by Hamlet Mascy for his chantry in 1497 licensed by the bishop of Lichfield in 1498. It continued in use until the mid-sixteenth century suppression of the chantries.
For the next century the chapel was probably used only occasionally. It was without endowment and there was no inducement for the rector of Warrington or the chief landowner to keep it open. A Commonwealth grant of £40 to the annual revenues ceased at the Restoration. A recommendation to make the chapel parochial was not acted upon.
The building fell into decay but after 1688 the bishop of Chester forced the lord of Rixton to rebuild and maintain it. A rebuild occurred in 1735. The present church, a plain brick building, was restored in 1882 and is dedicated to St Helen.
A mission room was built at Rixton in 1894
Incumbent, Churchwardens, Vestry, Parochial Church Council, Charities, School, Church House and Youth Centre Committee
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2013