CHESTER LITTLE ST. JOHN AL. ST. JOHN WITHOUT THE NORTHGATE Parish
|Source of acquisition
||Acc. 1946 pt.
The register was deposited by the Vicar in August 1973.
From Canon R S Lunt
The Rectory, 1 Vicar's Lane
Chester CH1 1QX
Date 12 Sep. 1984 Accession No 3523 Class Ref. P103/3523/1-2
||Church of England, Chester Little St John Parish, Cheshire; Church of England, Chester St John Without the Northgate Parish, Cheshire
The church of Little St. John al. St. John without the Northgate was the church of an extra-parochial precinct and served the ancient foundation of the Hospital of St. John. The building became the property of the City Municipal Charities Trustees in 1852, and was restored two years later. It had its own incumbent and cure of souls until 1948 when a vacancy occurred. The Vicar of St. Oswald parish became priest in charge, and in 1967 the two benefices were formally united as 'The united benefice of St. Oswald with Little St. John, Chester'. The building ceased to be used for church purposes in 1969 when a faculty was granted confirming a lease by the Municipal Charities Trustees to Chester Corporation for secular use
Register of Christenings
Registers of Services
Register of Attendances at Church Services
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2013