Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

MACCLESFIELD ST ALBAN CATHOLIC CHURCH


The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below. See the entire contents of the catalogue

Reference ERC 19
Covering dates 1795-1976
Held by Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Extent 55 files
Source of acquisition Acc 5240
Creators St Alban Catholich Church, Cheshire
Related information For details of the building work and stylistic features, see S Davies' "History of Macclesfield", 1961, which also gives a list of priests


Administrative history:
The first Catholic register of baptisms for Macclesfield was commenced in 1795 by a French refugee, Fr Louis Robin. The register was later kept at St Alban's. By 1801 the Catholic congregation in the town numbered about 90. St Alban's church was begun in 1839 and opened in 1841. It was designed by A W Pugin in the perpendicular style and cost £8,000. The tower was never completed. The building, in Chester Road, contained 600 sittings. It was not consecrated until 1931.




The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service