Crimicar Lane Hospital, Sheffield
||1932 - 1956
|Conditions of access
||Information in patient records is subject to access restrictions under the Data Protection Act, or may be subject to exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act. For further information please refer to a member of staff.
||Lodge Moor and Crimicar Lane Hospitals: register of military admissions and discharges 1914 - 1919 (NHS37, previously SY641/H5/7)
Lodge Moor Hospital (Winter St and Crimicar Lane): register of military sick cases 1939 - 1942 (NHS37 previously SY641/H5/8); other papers 1944-1952 (NHS37 previously SY641/H5/9-11)
Daily returns of patients: Lodge Moor, Winter Street, Crimicar Lane and Commonside Hospitals, 1935 - 1948 (NHS26 previously SY641/H6/1-4)
Sheffield City Council Health Committee minutes, 1849 - 1973: these include summaries of Medical Officer of Health monthly reports, with statistics of infectious and notifiable diseases (CA112/1-37)
Sheffield City Council draft Health Committee minutes, 1878 - 1968 (CA 164/1-169; CA 673/18-30)
Sheffield City Council Hospitals Committee minutes, 1881 - 1927 (CA113/1-8)
Sheffield City Council Hospitals Committee draft minutes, 1881 - 1927 (CA166/1-20)
Sheffield Public Health Department: minutes of committees and subcommittees, papers and plans relating to extensions to Lodge Moor Hospital, proposed smallpox hospital on Crimicar Lane, and Dart Square isolation houses near Winter Street Hospital, 1887-1958 (CA39/1-128)
Plans of hospital, and additions, 1899-1900, 1929 (AP305)
Records of Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee (NHS 37: formerly SY 298/H1-9, SY 641/H1-8)
||'Hospital Survey: Sheffield and East Midlands area', Ministry of Health, 1945 (Sheffield Local Studies 362 SQ)
Crimicar Lane Hospital and Sanatorium: opened 1902, closed 1956
Crimicar Lane Hospital and Sanatorium was opened in November 1902 for the reception of smallpox cases. It consisted of two wards, each accommodating 21 beds; an isolation block accommodating four wards each with two beds; also an administrative block, laundry and disinfector. Prior to the First World War the hospital was primarily for cases of smallpox, but consumptive (tuberculosis) patients were admitted if smallpox cases were lacking. In 1915 a temporary wooden ward was erected to accommodate 48 patients and an extension to the administrative block was built in 1916.
Many patients were those associated with the cutlery industry: grindstones and buffing wheels created a huge amount of gritty dust. Silicosis was the cause of great mortality, as was tuberculosis which was often associated with the 'dolly polishing' of silverware.
In 1950 the hospital had accommodation for 53 patients.
In 1955 the Planning Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board recommended that the use of the premises as a hospital be discontinued and that the patients be moved to Lodge Moor Hospital. The buildings were to be retained pending instructions from the Ministry of Health.
The patients were all transferred out of the hospital on 31 May 1956; the patients at Commonside Sanatorium also being transferred to Lodge Moor at around the same time.
The hospital buildings were later demolished to make way for housing; all that remains are the part of the perimeter wall and gates (2004).
The hospital was administered by Hospitals Committee of Sheffield City Council, established under the Public Health Act, 1875. In 1927 this committee became a sub-committee of the Health Committee.
At the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948 management, like other hospitals formerly administered by the Council, passed to the Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board (SRHB).
NHS14/1/1 Admission registers, 1932 - 1956
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2013