Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

Miscellaneous Somerset material


The entire contents of this catalogue are shown below. Browse the hierarchical structure instead

Reference DD\X\NL
Covering dates 1587-1839
Held by Somerset Archive and Record Service
Extent 3 bundles
Source of acquisition H/217, C/175, c/364

Contents:
The majority of papers relate to Creech St Michael property, with a little Bedminster, Bristol and Combe Damn material and will of James Muttlebury of the East India Company



BEDMINSTER etc., deeds.  DD\X\NL/1  1638, 1720, 1819

4 documents

Contents:
Order to Escheator of Somerset to hand over 11 ac. of meadow in Bedminster to Arthur Crooke s. Arthur Crooke, dec., 1638; post-nuptial settlement of William Clare of Bristol, gent., and Jane d. Humphrey Watmore of Bristol, involving corner messuage, vault, shop and cellars with small tenement adjoining at lower end of Corn Street, St Leonards, Bristol with inventory of furniture by rooms, 1720, declaration of trust re £413 stock, the purchase money for part of Seend Park Estate in Melkesham, Wilts., 1819.

John Dill of Combe Down  DD\X\NL/2  1839

3 docts.

Contents:
Letters to Will. T H Phelps of Wells, attorney, concerning Dill's insolvency, accounts due to Shuttleworth & Sons for sale of property and to H W Down for purchase of bricks and tiles.

CREECH ST MICHAEL. deeds  DD\X\NL/3  1587-1780

36 docts.

Contents:
Various properties in Creech St Michael including mess. and 8 ac., mess and 16 ac., cottage described as recently built in 1640, mess. or ten. called Varydle culminating in possession of John Acastle of West Monkton, 1640, 1669, house called Notts, garden and 4 ac. called Middlegrovefield (Raymond, Trivett and Rawlingson of Thurloxton) 1657-1727, house, orchard, garden, ½ ac. in Combe Wood and ½ ac. land (Hydon, Bond, House, Willicombe and Stacey) 1657-1727, mess. called Long Aller (Bennet of Isle Brewers to Selleck of Middle Temple, 1587, house with curtilage in Langaller, orchard called Moorehaye, 1 ac. called Aishehaye, 3½ ac. in common meadow called Moremeade and Cransey, (Eliott of West Monkton to Chappell) 1598, Richards Tenement and 40 ac. in 'Addesborowe' (Eliot of West Monkton to Raymond) 1621, house and 1 ac. (Eliot of Ruishton to Norrington of Cheddon Fitzpaine, reciting from 1583) 1625, 4 ac. pasture called Gods Acre (Walter et al to Rickards and Goodden of Goathurst) 1628, 4 mess. in Adsborough, Langaller and Comb near Burlinch, cottage lately erected at Adsborough and named lands (Raymond of Wellington to Trivett) 1701, 1702.
Mid 18th century note of tithes paid in West Monkton with ref. to distinction between Higher and Lower side of the parish, copy of a 'Rule' of 1619 'kept in the Parish Chest' [not found on deposit of parish records], lease of mess. ten. etc., 2 cottages and 27 ac. bondland, pt. of the Manor of Taunton Deane, in Kingston St Mary with liberty for lessor to use parlour, buttery and ½ garden to wash, bake and brew (Deacon to Musgrave), 1674, pre-nuptial settlement of Alexander s. John Bruford of West Monkton and Martha d. Richard Gadd of Cheddon Fitzpaine, mess., and ten. called Oldwill al Yeowlwill al Yallwell and 30 ac. with house called Yolwell in West Monkton, 1722.
Copy will James Muttlebury late of Creech St Michael then of Brightthelmstone, Sussex, gent., now Cadet in East India Company at Pondicherry, India with ref to Manor of Ball Coome in Creech St Michael, 1780.
Marriage settlement of Jn. Crosse of Creech St M., tanner and Fras. d. Rich. Crosse eld. of W. Monkton being lease for 80 years of mess. and 17 ac. in Creech St Michael 1631.

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Somerset Archive and Record Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Somerset Archive and Record Service