Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

DEEDS, MAINLY RELATING TO NUNNEY


The entire contents of this catalogue are shown below. Browse the hierarchical structure instead

Reference DD\BR\ls
Covering dates 1577-1886
Held by Somerset Archive and Record Service
Extent 20 bundles
Conditions of access Open
Source of acquisition W/26 a; C/176 a
Arrangement 1. Surveys, rentals, plans 1726-1886
2,3 Mounsell leases 1655-1713
4-6 Prater leases 1662-1701
7-12 Whitchurch leases 1624-1747
13-19 Theobald leases 1749-1871
20 Out county 1577-1710

Contents:
This collection consists for the main part of leases for lives of various properties in Nunney. There appear to have been two or possibly three manors in the parish under the names of Nunney Maudley (Mawdley, Maundley, Mandley), Nunney Castle alias Nunney Glaston and Nunney.
In 1655 the manor of Nunney Maudley was owned jointly by Thomas Sambourne and his wife Elizabeth, and Ephraim Mounsell of Upton Noble and his wife Margaret, Thomas's sister. This joint lordship lasted until at least 1663 but by 1668 Ephraim Mounsell was sole lord. By this time he was no longer resident at Upton Noble but had moved to Limerick in Ireland. Between 1673 and 1681 he was succeeded by his son Thomas, also of Limerick, but by 1694 the manor had passed to William Whitchurch of Frome Selwood. Unfortunately, there are no title deeds in this collection relating to the transfer. It was, perhaps, due to the failure on the part of Thomas Mounsell to redeem a mortgage on the property (See History of Limerick, by Maurice Leniham, 1866), but, more likely, the family now permanently settled in Ireland found it uneconomic to manage a limited estate in Somerset (See S.R.O. corresp. file 4(122) Feb. 1974, for corresp. on this subject)
A few years later in 1700, William Whitchurch purchased the manor of Nunney Castle alias Nunney Glaston from Richard Prater of Nunney Castle (See DD\LW 245 for pedigree of Prater family). The manors remained in the possession of the Whitchurch family until c.1749 when both passed into the possession of James Theobald of Waltham Place, White Waltham, Berks., later of Gray's Thurrock, Essex, esq., but again there is no original material in the deposit relative to the transfer. There is, however, an abstract of title, 1835 (See DD\BR\ls 19 for abstract of title of James Theobald, 1835), from which it appears that the estates were bequeathed to James Theobald by his cousin Elizabeth, wife of John Whitchurch of Sharpshaw, Nunney, in a codicil to her will dated 1749.
From the middle of the 18th century the names Nunney Castle and Nunney Maudley are used sometimes together, i.e. manor of Nunney Castle and Nunney Maudley, and sometimes as alternatives, i.e. manor of Nunney Castle otherwise Nunney Maudley.
Although the Whitchurch family did not acquire either of these manors until the end of the 17th century, they had had an interest in the parish from at least 1624. The manor of Nunney is mentioned specifically from 1668 but references to it are few, becoming increasingly so in the 18th century



NUNNEY rentals, surveys, etc.  DD\BR\ls/1  1726-1886

29 docts.


Related information: See DD\BT 1/58 for this plan

Contents:
Rent roll for 'Monnseles Manor' and 'Castle Manor' (presumably Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle) giving tenants' names and sums paid, 1726; 'Nunney' rental, giving tenants' names, lords rents and annual value, n.d., c.1747; particular of manors of Nunney Castle and Nunney Maudley, advowson of the rectory of Nunney, capital messuage and castle and Nunney Farm, distinguishing between properties held for one, two or three lives, 1742; abstract of leases giving date lease granted, 1690-1747, name of tenant, lives, description of property, name of manor, made c. 1747; 'Old Survey Nunney Manor', giving tenants' names, lives, ages, date of lease, 1673-1745, with additions to 1766, description of property, lords rent, annual value with section of estates in hand at time survey was made, 1745; tithe book, giving tenant's name, field names, acreage, tithe charge, n.d., w.m. 1815, from internal evidence between 1815 and 1817; rental of Theobald estate in Essex, Leicestershire and Somerset, 1828 (little detail); Nunney tithe rental, names of tithe payers, amount due and received, accounts, originally 2 separate books, 1817-24 and 1824-29 bound into one volume; draft rental of 'Mr. Theobalds estate' giving tenants' names, situation of property, acreage, how held, rent, comments, 1831; particular of Nunney Manor, 1832, giving number of lease (in parenthesis), number on plan of 1786, date of lease, tenant's name, occupation, description of property, acreage, lives with ages, rent, observations, 1760-1832 with additions to 1835; copy conveyance of manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle to Henry Miller of Frome Selwood, gent., with schedule giving number of lease, number on plan, description of premises, acreage, lives and ages, 1835, also rental for 1826 and charges on estate in same volume; sale particulars with plan of Nunney Court with iron works and edge -tool factory, extract from 1753 lease relating to cottage, dyehouse and washing place for wool on river, n.d., post 1846; reserved rent collecting list for manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle, 1870; abstract of leases arranged alphabetically by name of tenant, giving date of lease, 1794-1871, no. on tithe map, lives, 1872; conditions of sale of advowson of Nunney Rectory, 1874. Assorted plans of Nunney, 19th cent., incl. 5 tracings of different areas of the parish 'from parish map' (tithe) and plan showing Nunney Court, Castle, river, withy bed, Nunney Street; appointment of Benj. Springer of Nunney, yeo., as gamekeeper to Jas. Theobald, 1759.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/2  1655-1690

12 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manor of Nunney Maudley by Ephraim Mounsell and his wife Margaret (nee Sambourne) and Thos. Sambourne and his wife Eliz., later by Ephraim alone then by Thos. his son.
Property includes messuage called Smarts, 1655, 1672; dwelling house in Trudoxhill, 1673; land called Great Sharpsheare, etc., 1674. Tenants' names:- Grymes, Henning of Cloford, Payne, Pratten, Smith, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/3  1659-1690

11 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manor of Nunney Maudley by same lords as in DD\BR\ls 2. Property includes messuage and close called Stones New Tynings, Sharpshire, land on Ryland Hill, etc., 1663; parcel of meadow called Edmunds, 1663; cottage and garden bordering Parrowes Coppice in Trudoxhill, 1690; decayed dwelling house called Horseman's House, 1675. Tenants' names Clothier, Hillier, Starr, Smith, Swift, Yeoman

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/4  1576-1689

4 docts.

Contents:
Quitclaim by Swythune Thorp, gent., to Thos. Jn. Parker and Thos. Wyseman, esquires, of manor of Nunney Castle alias Nunney Glaston, lands and tenements called Chauntry lands, late of John, late Marquis of Winchester, lands and tenements in Nunney, Cloford, Wytham (Witham Friary), Marston Bigot, Mells, and Leigh-on-Mendip, 1576; marriage settlement (See DD\BR\ls 6 for another copy of this settlement) of Richard, s. and h. of George Prater of Nunney, esq., and Gertrude, dau. of John Morgan of Wells, esq., lands in Nunney called New Leazes, Lippiatt, Ryelands, Whiteway, Coombe Meade, Pellis Placke, 1662; mortgage by Richard Prater of Nunney, esq., to Sir Wm. Portman of Orchard Portman of lands called Hither New Leaze, Farther New Leaze, Pellis Placke, 1687; mortgage by George Prater of Nunney Castle, esq., to John Marchant of Frome Selwood, clothier, of Dead Woman, Glastonbury and Collwood Coppices, 1689.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/5  1655-1693

9 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney and Nunney Castle by George Prater of Nunney, esq., and his sons Rich. and Geo., of Nunney Castle. Property includes 2a. meadow at Longmead, 1655; 2 closes, one bounded by a grist mill, 1660; Symsbury Close in Cloford, 1666; closes called Hither New Lease, Further New Lease and Pellis Placke, 1680; capital messuage and close called Sharphayes at Lipyate, 1691.
Tenants' names:- Clarke,Coombes,Grymes,Harris,Henninge of Cloford,Lovell,Smyth,Swift

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/6  1654-1701

30 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in manors of Nunney and Nunney Castle by same lords as in DD\BR\ls 6. Property includes dwelling house in Horne Street 'between the way and the water' and a shop in Horne Street, 1654; cottage and land in a place called the Quarhouse at south end of Nunney town, 1659; pasture called Beardalls, 1670; pt.of a cott. in Horne Street, 1678; pt.of a cott. 'covered with tile' in Horne Street adjg. water consisting of a hall and shop with 4 chambers over,cellar and garden, 1680; house near Holwell, 4a. pasture, formerly pt. of a 'sheep slaight', 1682; newly erected cott. in Hornestreet,1684; close called Rackfield,1688; mortgage,common recovery, sale of manor of Nunney Castle alias Nunney Glaston, 1688,1692,1699,1700,1701.
Tenants' names:- Alford, Batt, Broome Budgett, Chancellor, Clarke, Cox, Grymes, Hill, Lester, Marchant, Payne, Stone, Swift, White, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/7  1624-1694

17 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manor of Nunney and Nunney Maudley by members of the Whitchurch family of Frome Selwood: Joseph, yeo., Philip, clothier, William the elder, linenweaver, or merchant and draper, and William, esq.(?his son). Property includes land in Budgetts Coombe, 1624; cottage called Tacketts 'lately divided from the Straw House', 1658, 1691 (former recites lease of 1595); west end of late erected house in the coombe by Holly Well, 1661; pasture in Clay Close, 1693.
Tenants' names:- Allin alias Cornishe, Commbes, Dallimore, Foster, Lester, Parsons, Rawles, Ruddock, Smith, White, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/8  1629-1709

27 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in manors of Nunney and Nunney Maudley by members of the Whitchurch family: Joseph of Frome Selwood, mercer, Henry of London, 'gould-weaver', William the elder, merchant and William, esq. (?his son), both of Frome Selwood. Property includes pasture called Hurman's Coombe, 1629, 1631, 1683, 1687; messuage in Budgett Coombe, 1635, 1703, 1709; close called Calves Leaze, 1680; close of pasture called Dowdalls Parrock, meadow called Colemixon in Truddoxhill, 1682; dwelling house called Hudsons, land called Chesslade, 1698; reservation of 2 messuages called Hoddinotts and Beards to Rich.Prater of Nunney, esq., 1700; house and 2 closes called Bramble Hayes in Truddoxhill, 1702.
Tenants' names:- Chancellor, Coombes, Dear, Ellis of Leigh-on-Mendip, Grymes, Harris of Mells, Miles, Smith, Williams, Woodhouse of Marston Bigot, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/9  1707-1715

17 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by Wm.Whitchurch of Frome Selwood,esq., described in 1708, 1710, 1712 as trustee and guardian of his grandson William. Property includes Dowdalls Tenement, 1707, and Oats, 1709; dwelling hse., water grist mill and maltmill, 1710; pasture called Beardalls and Hatch Hayes, 1710; pasture in Clay Close, 1711; coppice or woody ground called Calves Leaze, 1712; dwelling hse.and land in a close called Smarts, 1712; meadow called Berryhill, 1712.
Tenants' names:- Ball, Biss, Broome, Chancellor, Grymes, Lester, Parsons, Pickfatt, Shute of Whatley, Singer, Smith, Stride, Williams, Yeoman, Young.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/10  1704-1718

21 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by Wm.Whitchurch of Frome Selwood, esq., described in 1718 as guardian of his grandson William. Property includes land called Beards Close, etc., 1705; west end of a house in a coombe by Holly Well, 1706; land called Traske Close and Budgetts Parrock, 1706; land called Dowdalls Parrock, 1714; house and land called Hurmans Coombe and Singers Coombe, 1716; land called Bramble Hayes, etc., 1717; mess. and pasture called Stones, 1717; land called Prides Parrock, 1718; meadow called Edmunds, 1718.
Tenants' names:- Broome, Coombes, of Nunney and Cloford, Flower, Hiscocks, Hoddinott, Lester, Paine, Rawles, Smith, Smith alias Singer, Stone, White, Woodhouse, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/11  1705-1745

14 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by Wm.Whitchurch of Frome Selwood, esq., Wm. Whitchurch of Nunney, esq. (?his grandson), John Whitchurch of Sharpshaw, Nunney, esq., and Eliz. his wife. Property includes mess. called Coombes Tenement, 1706; dwelling house in the Coombe, 1707; late erected cott. on the Down, 1719; land called Traske Close and Budgetts Parrock, 1745.
Tenants' names:- Baker, Chancellor, Dallimore, Lester, Pickfatt, Randle, Smith, Stride, Talley, Williams, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/12  1719-1747

11 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by Wm.Whitchurch of Frome Selwood,esq.,Wm.Whitchurch of Lincoln's Inn(?his grandson),and John Whitchurch of Sharpshaw,Nunney,esq.,and Eliz. his wife. Property includes Lotsomes Tenement at Trudoxhill,1719; mess.called Smarts and profits belonging to Nunney Fair, 1741, 1744; house and land called Bramblehayes, 1745; Dowdalls Parrock and Coalmixon in Trudoxhill, 1745; close called Chesslade,pt.of a tenement called Hudsons, 1747.
Tenants' names:- Cayford, Cox, Dallimore, Hiscox, Hoddinott, Lydford, Pyke, Stryde, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/13  1749-1785

34 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by James Theobald of Waltham Place, White Waltham, co.Berks, later of Grays Thurrock, co.Essex. Property includes cott.near Nunney Mill, 1752; land called Hoddinotts, 1752; land with a mill late a house in Singers Coombe, 1753, 1783; cott.called Lotsomes Tenement at Trudoxhill, 1755, 1773, 1785; closes called Beardwells, Hath Haye, 1755; dwelling hse.called Smarts in Nunney Street and profits belonging to Nunney Fair, 1764; dwelling hse.on N.side of Nunney St. opposite church, 1771; cott. called Dowdals Tenement at W.End, Truddoxhill, 1778; lands called Traske Close and Budgett Parrock at Truddoxhill, 1782.
Tenants' names:- Ball of Cloford, Budgett, Burge, Candy, Dallimore, Dew, Hoddinott, Hooper, King, Knapton, Lester, Lydford, Millard, Morgan, Payne, Pyke, Singer, Spencer of Fonthill Gifford, co. Wilts., Sweet, Trollep, Trustler, Turner, Whitchurch, White, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/14  1751-1791

37 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by James Theobald as in DD\/BR\ls 13. Property includes mess., dwelling hse., malthouse, stable, etc., and land on Rylands Hill, 1752; close called Whiteway, 1753; cott. in Mill Lane, 1754; closes called Beardwells, Hallihays or Hathhays and Dallimore in Nunney and Cloford, 1755, 1782; cott. called Lotsomes Tenement, 1755; land called Hoddinotts Close, 1760; cott. called Doggerells at lower end of Truddoxhill, 1761, 1788; land called Tapps Paddock, Dyers, Summer Leazes, Cole Brook, Stones Close at Truddoxhill, 1768; dwelling hse.at Holwell, 1769; dwelling hse.in Nunney Street near the church, 1771.
Tenants' names:- Baker, Ball of Nunney and Cloford, Barber, Budgett, Clark, Coombs, Daniel, Davis, Dew, Gover of Cloford, Gully, Hellier of Marston Bigot, Hoddinott, King, Knapton, Miles, Millard, Morgan, Parfett, Pless, Stride, Tomer, White, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/15  1752-1791

28 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by James Theobald as in DD\NR\ls 13. Property includes 3 new-built messuages in Nunney Street near the water, 1752; meadow called Whiteway, pt. of a tenement called Hudsons, 1753; meadow called Traske Close, 1754; close called Berryhill, 1758; dwelling hse., malthouse, land on Rylands Hill, 1763; cott. in Castle Lane near the pound, 1765; cott. in Mill Lane, Truddoxhill, 1773; land called Dowdalls Paddock, 1782; land called Bramble Hays at Truddoxhill, 1782; decayed mill hse. formerly dwelling hse. and the mill in Singers Coombe, 1783; cott. and garden adjg. churchyard on west, 1789.
Tenants' names:-Alder, Dew, Douch, Gully, Gunning, Hooper, King, Knapton, Lydford, Miles, Pless, Potter, Shore of Whatley, Spencer of Fonthill Gifford, co. Wilts., Stride, Sweet, Tomer, Trustler, Turner, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/16  1760-1788

5 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by James Theobald as in DD\BR\ls 13. Property includes closes called Broadmead and the Grove, 1768; closes called Tapps Paddock, Dyew, Summer Leaze, Cole Brook, 1775; decayed dwelling hse. adjg. churchyard, 1783.
Tenants' names: -Coombs, Dew, Quance, Tomer, White.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/17  1753-1846

31 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in the manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by James Theobald as in DD\BR\ls 13, Harriet Theobald of Great James Street, Bedford Row, London, wid., and Thos. Theobald of Upper Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, London, later of Calais, esq. Property includes cott. and shop, 1753, 1774, 1797; pt. of the Mansion Hse. and Nunney Farm, with lands named, 1775; two tenements, one called Hudsons, 1781; pt. of Hurmans Coombe, 1796; mill hse., formerly dwelling hse., and mill in Singers Coombe, 1796; hse. on N.side of Nunney Street opposite the church, 1799; land called Jerrats, Middle and Upper Jerrats, Longlands, Berryhill, Paddock, 1800; two parlours in the Mansion House with two bedchambers over, 1805; land called Clay Ground or Wood Close nr. Nunney Catch Gate, 1820; dwelling hse. and smith's shop, 1820.
Tenants' names: -Austin, Clarke, Cook, Cornish, Dallimore of Radstock and Nunney, Davis, Fussell, Gunning, Hillier, Hoddinott, Hooper, King, Lydford, Miles, Philips, Rabbitts, Turner, White, Yeoman.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/18  1788-1871

37 docts.

Contents:
Leases for lives of property in manors of Nunney Maudley and Nunney Castle by James Harriet and Thos. Theobald, all as in DD\BR\1s 17 and James Theobald of Winchester, esq. Property includes cott. in Mill Lane, Truddoxhill, 1788; ruinous cott.at Truddoxhill, 1796, with sale bill for same cott., a hse. in Standerwick and a fulling mill and factory in Laverton, 1849; decayed barn called Cat Hole Barn, 1797; close called Hoddinotts, pt. of a tenement called the same, 1805; closes called Beardwells and Hathhays, 1817; cott. in Castle Lane nr. the pound, 1819; hse. used as workshop bounded on E. by Church Street, 1820; mess., tenement and malthouse in 'principal street', 1821, 1844, 1846; 4 cotts., formerly one tenement at Ridgway, 1832; cott. opposite George Inn in Nunney Street, 1834; plot of land called the Wilderness adjg. the river nr. the flour mill, 1844; close of pasture called Folly, 1844; the Manor Farm with schedule of field names, acreages, 1849, 1862; cott., formerly the Theobald Arms, 1862.
Tenants' names:-Abbot, Ball, Brooks, Candy, Croom, Dallimore, Douch, Gunning, Heward, Hillier, Hobbs, Hoddinott, Hooper, King, Miles, Miller, Phillips, Russell, Shore, Spencer of Fonthill Gifford, co. Wilts., Starr, Theobald, Turner, White.

NUNNEY deeds  DD\BR\ls/19  1811-1874

15 docts.

Contents:
Abstract of title of trustees of will of James Theobald to manor of Nunney Maudley and advowson of the rectory, 1744-1823, incl. abstract of wills of Eliz. Whitchurch of Nunney, 1748; James Theobald the elder, 1758, and James Theobald the younger, 1802, with solicitors' comments, 1835; abstract of title, 1802-71 and supplementary abstract of title, 1802-1874, of James Theobald to advowson of rectory of Nunney, 1874; leases of iron mines in Nunney with schedule of deeds, 1846-67 and plan, 1873, 1874; report on iron ore royalty with plan showing boreholes, pits, etc., 1874; leases of Nunney Farm, 1811, 1823 and pt. of Nunney Manor Farm, with plans showing Nunney Castle and parcels of land, 1833; Theobald Arms public house, 1817.
Tenants' names:-Fussell, Gunning, Hoddinott, Humphries, Knapton, Rabbits.

OUT-COUNTY deeds  DD\BR\ls/20  1577-1710

7 docts.

Contents:
Cap.mess.called Mallins in Little Thurrock, 1609(2), 1616, and Gowers in Little Warley, 1616; parsonage of Grays Thurrock, 1577, all in Essex; cap.mess.called Winsors alias Waltham Place, White Waltham, co.Berks., 1613; land in Lambs Conduits Fields on E.side of Theobalds Court, St. Andrews, Holborne, 1710.

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Somerset Archive and Record Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Somerset Archive and Record Service