Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

Saint John, Saint John's Wood: Westminster


The entire contents of this catalogue are shown below. Browse the hierarchical structure instead

Reference P89/JN1
Covering dates 1814 - 1971
Held by London Metropolitan Archives
Extent 157 documents
Conditions of access Original references (P..) or xerox copy references (R..) have to be ordered
Microfilms (X..) are available in the Reference Room
Source of acquisition Additional parish records of St John's Wood Church, formerly St John's Wood Chapel deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 17 November 1978 (Ac. 78.63)
Parish records deposited by the Rector of St Marylebone 12 June 1959.
Creators Church of England, St John's Parish, St John's Wood
Arrangement The parish records of St Stephen's dating from before the defacto union of 1948 have been listed separately with the reference P81/STE1 and the records of St John's Wood Chapel have been listed as a continuous series with the records of St John's Wood Parish.

Administrative history:
St John's Wood Chapel was built in 1814 as a chapel of ease to St Marylebone parish church and to serve the new burial ground adjoining it. In 1898 it became a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Cosway Street. In March 1952 St John's Wood Chapel was transferred to the parish of St Stephen the Martyr, Avenue Road, Portland Town and replaced St Stephen's Church as parish church. The name of the parish was changed to St John's Wood in September 1952.
For registers of burials in St John's Wood burial ground, see St Marylebone parish church.
St John's Wood Chapel was built in 1814 as a chapel of ease to St Marylebone parish church and to serve the new burial ground adjoining it. In 1898 it became a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Cosway Street, served by its own minister until the 1920s. In 1932 the Rector of Christ Church moved from Christ Church House into St John's House and St John's appears to have become increasingly the centre of parochial administration to which were added in February 1941 the parishes of St Stephen the Martyr, Avenue Road, and St Barnabas, Bell Street. Consequently the records of St John's for these years include many items relating to Christ Church and some to the other two parishes.
The scheme for the parochial reorganisation of St Marylebone published in 1945 proposed that St John's Wood Chapel should be transferred to St Stephen's Parish and should replace St Stephen's Church as the parish church of the new parish. The Bishop of London closed St Stephen's Church from 31 October 1945 and asked St Stephen's Parochial Church Council to recognise St John's Wood Chapel as their parish church without waiting for a formal legal decision. When the Rector of Christ Church resigned at the end of 1947, he was replaced by two incumbents, the Rector of St Stephen with St John and the Rector of Christ Church with St Barnabas. On 1 January 1948 Christ Church balances were transferred out of the St John's ledger. The St Stephen's accounts were closed and the money was transferred to St John's, thus effectively implementing the reorganisation scheme. On 11 March 1952 an Order in Council was published retifying the reorganisation scheme. A further Order in Council on 9 September 1952 changed the name of the parish to St John's Wood.
Although legally St John's was only a chapel of ease until 1952, it had become the administrative centre of three parishes. Rather than St Stephen's parish taking over St John's Wood Church, St John's Wood Church appears to have taken over St Stephen's parish. Most of the series of the records used for St Stephen's were closed and either the St John's records were used for the new parish or a new series was started.

Contents:
Registers of burials
Burial fee books
Register of monuments and graves
Registers of baptisms
Registers of marriages
Register of confirmations
Registers of banns of marriage
Marriage licences
Church service registers
Curate's licences
Transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church
Licence for solemnisation of marriages
Parochial reorganisation
Benefice
Church fabric
Parochial property
Financial records
Parochial Church Council
Christ Church School
Christ Church charities
History of St John's Wood Church
Papers of Henry Mills



Register of burials  P89/JN1/1  1814-1815

Contents:
Arranged in alphabetical order, recording grave sites.

Register of burials  P89/JN1/2  1816

Contents:
Arranged in alphabetical order, recording grave sites.

Register of burials  P89/JN1/3  1817

Contents:
Arranged in alphabetical order, recording grave sites.

Register of burials  P89/JN1/4  1818

Contents:
Arranged in alphabetical order, recording grave sites.

Fee book of burials  P89/JN1/5  Dec 1826-Dec 1827

Contents:
The fee books are arranged in printed columns, and the entries seem to imply that they relate to interments at Paddington Street and St John's only, not those in the Parish Chapel and Old Churchyard.

Fee book of burials  P89/JN1/6  Dec 1827-Dec 1828

Contents:
The fee books are arranged in printed columns, and the entries seem to imply that they relate to interments at Paddington Street and St John's only, not those in the Parish Chapel and Old Churchyard.

Fee book of burials  P89/JN1/7  Dec 1828-Jan 1830

Contents:
The fee books are arranged in printed columns, and the entries seem to imply that they relate to interments at Paddington Street and St John's only, not those in the Parish Chapel and Old Churchyard.

Fee book of burials  P89/JN1/8  Jan 1831-Feb 1832

Contents:
The fee books are arranged in printed columns, and the entries seem to imply that they relate to interments at Paddington Street and St John's only, not those in the Parish Chapel and Old Churchyard.

Fee book of burials  P89/JN1/9  Feb 1832-Feb 1833

Contents:
The fee books are arranged in printed columns, and the entries seem to imply that they relate to interments at Paddington Street and St John's only, not those in the Parish Chapel and Old Churchyard.

Fee book of burials  P89/JN1/10  Mar 1833-Apr 1836

Contents:
The fee books are arranged in printed columns, and the entries seem to imply that they relate to interments at Paddington Street and St John's only, not those in the Parish Chapel and Old Churchyard.

Fee book of burials  P89/JN1/11  Apr 1836-Dec 1839

Contents:
The fee books are arranged in printed columns, and the entries seem to imply that they relate to interments at Paddington Street and St John's only, not those in the Parish Chapel and Old Churchyard.

Alphabetical register of monuments and graves in the new burial ground, St John's  P89/JN1/12  Sep 1814-Dec 1838


Related information: It would be advisable to use these records in conjunction with those of St Marylebone Church, since it is not clear how far the two series overlap.

Rough register of baptisms solemnised at St John's Wood Chapel.  P89/JN1/13  June 1899-Nov. 1935

Register of baptisms  P89/JN1/14  Jan. 1936-Apr. 1957

Conditions of access: NOT AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION

Copies information: use microfilm X099/011


Register of marriages solemnised at St John's Wood Chapel in the parish of Christ Church, St Marylebone  P89/JN1/15  Jan. 1927-Dec. 1935

Conditions of access: NOT AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION

Register of marriages solemnised at St John's Wood Chapel in the parish of Christ Church, St Marylebone  P89/JN1/16  Feb. 1936-Nov. 1941

Conditions of access: NOT AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION

Copies information: use microfilm X099/012


Register of marriages solemnised at St John's Wood Chapel in the parish of Christ Church, St Marylebone; from Nov. 1945 includes marriages from the parish of St Stephen, Avenue Road  P89/JN1/17  Dec. 1941-Mar. 1948

Conditions of access: NOT AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION

Copies information: use microfilm X099/012


Register of marriages  P89/JN1/18  Mar. 1948-Apr. 1956

Contents:
Solemnised at St John's Wood Chapel in the parish of Christ Church, St Marylebone Mar 1948-Mar 1952; at St John's Wood Chapel in the parish of St Stephen, Avenue Road, Apr.-Sept. 1952 and at St John's Church, parish of St John's Wood, Sept. 1952-Apr. 1956

Register of marriages  P89/JN1/19  Apr. 1956-Sept. 1962

Conditions of access: NOT AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION

Copies information: use microfilm X099/012


Register of confirmations  P89/JN1/20  1920 - 1976

Contents:
Mar. 1920-Feb. 1948 St Stephen, Avenue Road
May 1948-Dec. 1976 St John's Wood Church
Includes note at front of register 'purchased at request of Bishop 1930' and instruction from the Bishop of Willesden on confirmation services and rough notes at back on services

Register of banns of marriage  P89/JN1/21  Dec. 1926-Sept. 1956

Register of banns of marriage  P89/JN1/22  Sept. 1956-Feb. 1969

Conditions of access: NOT AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION

Copies information: X099/016.


18 Licences for marriages to be solemnised at St John's Wood Chapel and incomplete list of marriage licences for weddings at Christ Church and St John's kept at St John's House 1941-1942  P89/JN1/23/1-19  June 1940-Nov. 1945

12 Licences for marriages to be solemnised at Christ Church, Cosway Street  P89/JN1/24/1-12  Feb. 1941-July 1947

7 Licences issued by Faculty Office for marriages elsewhere but owing to exigencies of the service to take place either at Christ Church or St John's, with letters from Army Authorities accounting for 'exigencies' annexed  P89/JN1/25/1-7  Sept. 1943-Jan. 1945

Licence for marriage to be solemnised at St Barnabas, Bell Street  P89/JN1/26  4 Dec. 1944

Sacraments book, showing date, number of communicants, name of celebrant and amount of offering  P89/JN1/27  Jan. 1822-May 1854

Preachers' book  P89/JN1/28  Sept. 1864-May 1877

Preachers' book  P89/JN1/29  May 1877-June 1890

Church service register, with list of gifts to church at back of volume, 1905-1911  P89/JN1/30  July 1905-June 1911

Church service register  P89/JN1/31  June 1911-May 1916

Church service register  P89/JN1/32  Jan. 1935-Jan. 1939

Church service register  P89/JN1/33  Feb. 1939-Nov. 1942

Contents:
Includes at back of volume note by Revd. O. H. Gibb-Smith for churchwardens and sidesmen on entering up collections n.d.

Church service register  P89/JN1/34  Nov. 1942-Jan. 1945

Church service register  P89/JN1/35  Jan. 1945-Apr. 1947

Church service register  P89/JN1/36  Apr. 1947-Oct. 1948

Church service register  P89/JN1/37  Oct. 1948-Apr. 1950

Contents:
With list of special services [...] lectures for Lent 1950 at back of volume

Church service register with list of special services and lectures for Lent 1951 at back of volume  P89/JN1/38  Apr. 1950-June 1951

Services  P89/JN1/39  1951 - 1953

Church service register  P89/JN1/39/1  June 1951-Oct. 1953

Programmes and poster for recitals at St John's Wood Chapel in aid of restoration fund  P89/JN1/39/2-4  Nov. 1951

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/39

Order in Council making changes in prayers mentioning members of the Royal Family  P89/JN1/39/5  29 Feb. 1952

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/39

Order of service for 3rd/4th County of London. Yeomanry Annual Regimental Church Service  P89/JN1/39/6  16 Nov. 1952

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/39

Services  P89/JN1/40  1953 - 1956

Church service register  P89/JN1/40/1  Oct. 1953-Mar. 1956

Lists of special services and courses for Lent 1954, Lent 1955 and Lent 1956  P89/JN1/40/2-4  1954-1956

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/40/1

Services  P89/JN1/41  1956 - 1958

Church service register  P89/JN1/41/1  Mar. 1956-July 1958

Programm of talks and discussions  P89/JN1/41/2  Oct. [1956]

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/41/1

Order of service fo Quiet Afternoon  P89/JN1/41/3  27 Oct. 1956

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/41/1

Lists of services talks and other events for Lent 1957, World Church Weekend May 1957, Lent 1958, Holy Week 1958 and World Church Weekend  P89/JN1/41/4-8  1958

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/41/1

Poster Spring Ball  P89/JN1/41/9  16 May 1958

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/41/1

Part of service sh and notes  P89/JN1/41/10  29 June 1958

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/41/1

Services  P89/JN1/42  1958 - 1960

Church service register  P89/JN1/42/1  July 1958-Dec. 1960

Ticket for Midsummer Night's Revels  P89/JN1/42/2  23 June [1959]

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Programme for Lincoln students' visit  P89/JN1/42/3  Oct. 1959

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Programme of church events  P89/JN1/42/4  Oct. 1959

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Regulations for use of De Walden Rooms  P89/JN1/42/5  [Oct. 1959]

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Leaflets about Annual Gift Day  P89/JN1/42/6-8  7 Dec. 1959

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Leaflet about Lent course  P89/JN1/42/9  1960

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Sunday evening programme  P89/JN1/42/10  autumn 1960

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Poster for Midsummer Night's Revels  P89/JN1/42/11  24 June 1960

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Note to sidesmen about Gift Day envelopes on back of blank invitation card to Vicar's 'At Home'  P89/JN1/42/12  21 Oct. 1960

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/42/1

Services.  P89/JN1/43  1960 - 1963

Church service register  P89/JN1/43/1  Dec. 1960-Apr. 1963

Notice of annual gift day  P89/JN1/43/2  5 Dec. 1960

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

Notice about six floodlit tableaux of the passion of Jesus  P89/JN1/43/3  Mar. [1961]

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

Notice and envelope about Christian Aid Week  P89/JN1/43/4-5  May 1961

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

Order of service Ascension Day  P89/JN1/43/6  1961

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

Poster for 'Midsummer Revels'  P89/JN1/43/7  23 June 1961

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

Notice listing children's groups  P89/JN1/43/8  Oct. 1961

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

Notice and envelope for annual gift day  P89/JN1/43/9-10  4 Dec. 1961

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

[...] of service Ascension Day  P89/JN1/43/11  1962

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/43/1

Services.  P89/JN1/44  1814 - 1965

Church service register  P89/JN1/44/1  Apr. 1963-Aug. 1965

Rough notes about offertories  P89/JN1/44/2-7  n.d

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/44/1

Programme of Jubilee Celebrations 1814-1964  P89/JN1/44/8  May-June 1964

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/44/1

Orders of service for Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, and for children's Carol Service  P89/JN1/44/9-10  Dec. 1964

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/44/1

Services.  P89/JN1/45  1965 - 1967

Church service register  P89/JN1/45/1  Aug. 1965-Nov. 1967

Notice about gift day  P89/JN1/45/2  6 Dec. 1965

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/45/1

Order of service Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols  P89/JN1/45/3  Dec. 1965

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/45/1

Order of service Ascension Day  P89/JN1/45/4  1966

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/45/1

Part of notice of St Marylebone Ruridecanal Chapter Meeting  P89/JN1/45/5  6 May [1966]

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/45/1

Notice about gift day  P89/JN1/45/6  5 Dec. 1966

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/45/1

Orders of service Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols and Midnight Eucharist  P89/JN1/45/7-8  Dec. 1966

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/45/1

Services  P89/JN1/46  1967 - 1970

Church service register  P89/JN1/46/1  Nov. 1967-Mar. 1970

Order of service Festival of Nine Lesson and Carols  P89/JN1/46/2  Dec. 1967

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/46/1

Programme of Advent preachers  P89/JN1/46/3  Nov.-Dec. [1969]

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/46/1

Services.  P89/JN1/47  1970 - 1971

Church service register  P89/JN1/47/1  Mar. 1970-May 1971

Loose pages at back of volume containing entries for  P89/JN1/47/2-3  June-July 1971

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/47/1

"Christ Church, Cosway Street:" Assistant curate's licence for Robert William Burnaby MA  P89/JN1/48  11 Dec. 1871

Assistant curate's licence for Herbert William Maycock MA  P89/JN1/49  28 Jan. 1891

Assistant curate's licence for Donald Thomas Glassford BA  P89/JN1/50  13 Oct. 1896

Assistant curate's licence for Mark Mortimer Cassidy MA  P89/JN1/51  12 Dec. 1896

"Parish of St John's Wood:" Copy curate's licence for Michael Geoffrey Hare Duke MA for the parish church of St Stephen, Portland Town (St John's Wood Chapel)  P89/JN1/52  8 June 1952

"Parish of St John's Wood:" Copy curate's licence for Simon Hedley Burrows BA  P89/JN1/53  29 Sept. 1954

"Parish of St John's Wood:" Copy curate's licence for David Arthur Perkin BA with:-  P89/JN1/54/1  29 Sept. 1956

"Parish of St John's Wood:" Covering letter  P89/JN1/54/2  9 Oct. 1956

"Parish of St John's Wood:" Copy curate's licence for Richard Charles Burr Butler BA  P89/JN1/55  29 Sept. 1960

"Parish of St John's Wood:" Copy curate's licence for Philip Suttill Jones BA  P89/JN1/56  28 May 1961

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Printed return of pew rents and disbursements 1866-1885 for St Marylebone parish church, parish chapel, St John's Chapel, St Mary's, All Souls', Christ Church and Holy Trinity churches  P89/JN1/57  Feb. 1886

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Printed return as above 1866-1892 with manuscript additions for Christ Church, 1893-1895  P89/JN1/58/1-2  Jan. 1893

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Correspondence between the Bishop of London, the Rector of St Marylebone, the Rector of Christ Church and 10 Downing Street about the St Marylebone Bill and possible future conversion of St John's Chapel to a parish church  P89/JN1/59/1-5  Jan-June 1898

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" St Marylebone Church Rate Abolition Act 2 copies  P89/JN1/60-61  2 Aug. 1898

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Notice of meeting of Christ Church Vestry  P89/JN1/62  10 Dec. 1898

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:"Acknowledgement  P89/JN1/63/1  3 Mar. 1899

Contents:
1 Vestry of parish of St Marylebone
2 Revd. Oswald Pryor Wardell-Yerburgh, Rector of Christ Church as to right of production of deeds relating to St John's Chapel including schedule of deeds 1807-1808; with:-

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Covering letter from [St Marylebone] Vestry Clerk  P89/JN1/63/2  8 Mar. 1899

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Churchwardens' accounts for Christ Church with St John's Chapel  P89/JN1/64  Jan.-Apr. 1899

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Plan of site of chapel and disused burial ground showing portion of land to be surrendered by Vestry, with envelope with note 'This plan is incorrect with the Act 30 feet of ground is reserved at the rear of the Chapel for the Church'.  P89/JN1/65/1-2  n.d

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Manuscript note concerning publication of banns  P89/JN1/66  n.d. [19th Century]

"The transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church:" Subscription List  P89/JN1/67  n.d. [19th Century]

Licence from the Bishop of London for the solemnisation of marriages in St John's Wood Chapel in the parish of Christ Church, St Marylebone  P89/JN1/68  2 Dec. 1925

File containing correspondence and other papers relating to proposed parochial reorganisation and closure of St Andrew's Church, Allitsen Ro including 6 inch O.S. map showing boundaries of St Stephen's parish 1935, and map showing alteration of boundaries of St Stephen's, Christ Church, Cosway Street, Emmanuel, Maida Hill, St Cyprian, St Marylebone and St Paul, Lisson Grove  P89/JN1/69/1-33  1943-1954

Letter from Church Commissione to Secretary of St Stephen's Parochial Church Council enclosing draft reorganisation scheme  P89/JN1/70  16 July 1951

London Gazette containing Order in Council ratifying reorganisation scheme for St Stephen, Portland Town and changing name of parish to St John's Wood (p. 4788)  P89/JN1/71  9 Sept. 1952

File containing correspondence concerning use of St Stephen's Church by G. M. Hoellering to make film of 'Murder in the Cathedral'  P89/JN1/72  Sept. 1949-June 1952

"Benefice of Christ Church, Cosway Street, with St John:" Statement of amounts payable by Ecclesiastical Commissioners  P89/JN1/73  1939

"Benefice of Christ Church, Cosway Street, with St John:" Receipt by Lee, Bolton and Lee, Diocesan Registry, for deeds of 22-24 and part of 25 Stephen Street [Christ Church House, Shroton Street from Revd. T. G. Brierley Kay in connection with air raid shelter in base of church house  P89/JN1/74  22 May 1940

"Benefice of Christ Church, Cosway Street, with St John:" Sequestration to Revd. A. H. Morris Rural Dean, and the churchwardens  P89/JN1/75  11 Feb. 1941

"Benefice of Christ Church, Cosway Street, with St John:" Ecclesiastical Dilapidations ordinary assessment and receipt  P89/JN1/76/1-4  June-Aug. 1940

"Benefice of Christ Church, Cosway Street, with St John:" Ecclesiastical Dilapidations ordinary assessment  P89/JN1/77  3 Dec. 1945

"Benefice of St John's Wood:" Church Commissioners' pamphlet on rating  P89/JN1/78  Feb. 1956

"Benefice of St John's Wood:" Letter from Diocesan Registrar to Revd. N. A. Perry-Gore concerning ownership and boundaries of glebe land on north side of St Stephen's Church  P89/JN1/79  25 June 1958

"Benefice of St John's Wood:" Seven year covenant by Marylebone Cricket Club for annual payment to St John's Church  P89/JN1/80  28 Dec. 1960

"Church Fabric: Christ Church and St John's Chapel:" Receipt from Westminster Bank for box for safe custody  P89/JN1/81  30 July 1925

"Church Fabric: Christ Church and St John's Chapel:" Receipt from Westminster Bank for box for safe custody  P89/JN1/82  8 May 1926

"Church Fabric: Christ Church and St John's Chapel:" Letter from Westminster Bank confirming that bank holds Christ Church Plate Chest  P89/JN1/83  22 Feb. 1940

"Church Fabric: Christ Church and St John's Chapel:" Faculty authorising Rector and churchwardens to grant licence to St Marylebone Borough Council for user of the crypts of Christ Church and St John's Wood Chapel for air raid shelters constructed in Sept. 1939  P89/JN1/84  7 Aug. 1941

"Church Fabric: Christ Church and St John's Chapel:" Licence for construction of air raid shelters in crypts of Christ Church and St John's Wood Chapel  P89/JN1/85  31 Oct. 1941

Contents:
1 Revd. Oswin Harvard Gibbs-Smith, Rector of Christ Church, St Marylebone with St John's [...] Chapel
2 Churchwardens
3 St Marylebone Borough Council

"Church Fabric: Christ Church and St John's Chapel:" Notes of agreements between the Revd. O. H. Gibbs-Smith and the Secretary of State for Air for living accommodation for RAF in Christ Church School, Cosway Street, Christ Church House, Shroton Street, St John's Wood Chapel and the DeWalden Institute, 42-48 Charlbert Street NWB  P89/JN1/86/1-3  [1944, 1945]

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Faculty to convert galleries on north and south sides of church into parish rooms and to replace windows  P89/JN1/87  11 June 1934

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Copy citation for oak aumbry with gilded cross in Lady Chapel  P89/JN1/88  21 May 1943

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Faculty as above  P89/JN1/89  16 June 1943

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Copy citation to replace pulpit and to provide and furnish side chapel  P89/JN1/90  20 Dec. 1948

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Faculty as above addressed to Rector and churchwarden of Christ Church, St Marylebone  P89/JN1/91  21 Jan. 1949

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Faculty for rebuilding bomb damaged chancel arch, distempering interior of church, erecting war memorial tablet and for mural wall painting in children's creche, addressed to Rectordesignate and churchwardens of parishdesignate of St John's Wood  P89/JN1/92  27 Oct. 1950

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Faculty addressed to Vicar and Churchwardens of St Stephen, Portland Town for a new font in memory of Annie Hodgson Timmis to be placed in St John's Wood Chapel as parish church  P89/JN1/93  1 July 1952

"Church Fabric: St John's Church:" Copy citation for installation of new electric lighting apparatus in gallery  P89/JN1/94  12 Aug. 1955

Covering letter for above  P89/JN1/95  12 Aug. 1955

Faculty as above  P89/JN1/96  25 Oct. 1955

Faculty for memorial tablet to Edith Hawthorn Glenny  P89/JN1/97  22 May 1959

Notification that St John's Wood Chapel is a 'listed' building with:-  P89/JN1/98/1  12 Oct. 1954

Covering letter from Church Commissioners  P89/JN1/98/2  7 Dec. 1954

Archdeacon's authorisation of acceptance of gift of candlesticks with related correspondence  P89/JN1/99/1-9  Mar.-Apr. 1958

Sketch plan of new aisle seating with:-  P89/JN1/100/1  17 Jan. 1959

Estimate and covering letter  P89/JN1/100/2-3  5 Mar. 1959

Acknowledgement by Theodore Fyfe, 4 Grays Inn Square that putting in of pipe [at Christ Church and Shafesbury Institute] is an easement, with envelope  P89/JN1/101/1-2  7 Dec. [1901/1905/1907]

File containing correspondence relating to the compulsory purchase of 38 Barrow Hill Road [St Stephen's Mission House and Mission Hall] by the LCC  P89/JN1/102  Feb. 1945-Sept. 1952

Registered envelope labelled '38 Barrow Hill Road Deed of Gift' with note 'Deed of Gift. Original sent to Constant and Constant 17.3.1948'  P89/JN1/103/1-2  [1948]

[Churchwardens']accounts receipts and expenditure for Christ Church with St John  P89/JN1/104  Jan. 1931-Dec. 1931

[Churchwardens'] annual accounts, receipts and expenditure for Christ Church and St John  P89/JN1/105/1-5  1935-1939

Ledger for Christ Church and St John  P89/JN1/106  Dec. 1941-Dec. 1944

Ledger for Christ Church and St John 1945-1947 and for St John and St Stephen 1948-1950; includes note at front of volume  P89/JN1/107  Dec. 1945-Dec. 1950

Contents:
1 'On January 1st 1948 all Christ Church balances transferred out of this ledger into a new ledger for Christ Church on the splitting of the parish from St John's'
2 'On the same date all accounts from the ledger of St Stephen's Avenue Road transferred to this ledger

Ledger  P89/JN1/108  Jan. 1951-Dec. 1954

Cash book for Christ Church and St John  P89/JN1/109  Jan. 1942-Oct. 1945

Cash book for Christ Church and St John 1945-1947 and St John and St Stephen 1948-1954  P89/JN1/110  Nov. 1945-Sept. 1954

Finance record.  P89/JN1/111  1950 - 1960

Cash book for parish of St John's Wood  P89/JN1/111/1  Oct. 1954-Dec. 1960

Letter from Barclays Bank stating interest received in 1950  P89/JN1/111/2  8 Mar. 1961

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/111/1

Petty cash and analysis book for Christ Church with St John and St Stephen with St Andrew  P89/JN1/112  June 1941-July 1943

Petty cash analysis book for Christ Church until Mar. 1948, St John's Wood and St Stephen with St Andrew  P89/JN1/113  July 1943-Dec. 1948

Petty cash analysis book: parish of St John's Wood  P89/JN1/114  Jan. 1954-Mar. 1963

Petty cash analysis book  P89/JN1/115  Mar. 1963-Dec. 1967

Petty cash analysis book  P89/JN1/116  Dec. 1967-Dec. 1971

Volume  P89/JN1/117/1  1925 - 1947

Contents:
Apr. 1925-Apr. 1947 Christ Church Parochial Church Council
Apr. 1933-Apr. 1947 Christ Church Vestry and Annual Parochial Church meeting
Enclosed - P89/JN/117/2-10 St John's Wood parish headed notepaper n.d., 4 [...] of members of Parochial Church Council 1944-1946, agenda for Parochial Church Council Meeting 29 Mar. 1949 2 copies, blank confirmation summary and declaration form, n.d., press cutting from [St Marylebone] Record containing report of Christ Church Annual Parochial Church Meeting 23 Jan. 1935

Volume  P89/JN1/118/1  1937 - 1948

Contents:
Apr. 1937-Apr. 1948 St Stephen's Parochial Church Council
Apr. 1937-Apr. 1941 St Stephen's Annual Parochial Church Meeting
Oct. 1946-Feb. 1948 Joint meetings of Parochial Church Councils of St Stephen with St Andrew and Christ Church with St John
Apr.-Sep. 1948 St John's Wood Chapel Committee
Enclosed - P89/JN/118/2-7 4 list of members of Parochial Church Council 1944-1947, copy of resolution passed by Parochial Church Council 11 July 1937 and explanatory note that St Stephen parish was grouped with Christ Church, St Marylebone in Feb. 1941

PCC  P89/JN1/119  1948 - 1959

[no title or date]  P89/JN1/119/1

Contents:
Volume containing minutes of:-
Oct. 1948-Jan. 1949 St John's Wood Chapel Committee
Apr. 1949-Jan. 1952 St John's Wood Parochial Church Committee
Mar.-May 1952 St Stephen, Portland Town Parochial Church Council
July 1952-Mar. 1959 St John's Wood Parochial Church Council

Description of worship at St John's Church written by a Swedish visitor  P89/JN1/119/2  n.d

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/119/1

Letter from Dr W. Brunyate concerning Sunday evening duties  P89/JN1/119/3  n.d

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/119/1

PCC  P89/JN1/120  1948 - 1962

Standing Committee minute book  P89/JN1/120/1  Apr. 1948-Oct. 1962

Letter from London Diocesan Fund concerning parochial property  P89/JN1/120/2  30 Nov. 1956

Contents:
Enclosed in P89/JN1/120/1

Events Committee minute book  P89/JN1/121  May 1956-Nov. 1961

Minutes of the Governing Body of St John's War Memorial Community Club (loose sheets found tucked inside P89/JN/118/1)  P89/JN1/122  July 1947-Apr. 1949

File containing agendas and draft minutes of Parochial Church Council and Annual Parochial Church Meetings, nominations for churchwardens and members of Parochial Church Council, annual balance sheets 1941 and correspondence for Christ Church with St John, St Stephen with St Andrew and St John's Wood parish  P89/JN1/123  1941-1967

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Lease for 97 years, less 20 days  P89/JN1/124  30 Sept. 1823

Contents:
1 John Butcher, gent, of Maida Hill Paddington
2 William Fry and George Watkins jun. timber merchants of Poplar
3 John Maidlow, builder of Portland Town, St Marylebone
Premises: 5 pieces of ground with 5 brick messuages erecting in St Marylebone, fronting E on Stafford Street, between Dean Street on N and Hereford Place on S, each plot 16' N-S, 45' E-W (plan)

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Assignment  P89/JN1/125  10 Aug. 1824

Contents:
1 John Maidlow, builder of Portland Town
2 Thomas Hughes, gent of Tichborne Street
Premises: as above

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Lease and Assignment  P89/JN1/126  1827 - 1834

Contents:
14 May 1827 Lease for 77 years
1 Randolph Payne, draper, of Southampton Street, St Paul, Covent Garden and John Vickery Broughton, mercer, of Oxford Street, Middlesex (trustees under settlement between Thomas Hughes, breechesmaker of Tichborne Street, St James, Middlesex, and Payne and Vickery above)
2 William Lawes, shopkeeper, of Stafford Street, St Marylebone
Premises: ground and messuage fronting E on Stafford Street and S on Hereford Place, St Marylebone, i.e., corner house (plan)
Endorsed:-
24 June 1834 Assignment
1 James Dowsing, mason of Stafford Street, St Marylebone
2 Randolph Payne and John Vickery Broughton
3 Thomas Read, gent of Hereford Street, St Marylebone
Premises: as above

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Assignment  P89/JN1/127  15 Feb. 1832

Contents:
1 William Lawes, shopkeeper, of Stafford Street, St Marylebone
2 Thomas Threader of Chapel Street, South Audley Street, St George, Hanover Square
Premises: as above

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Assignment  P89/JN1/128  8 June 1832

Contents:
1 Thomas Threader, shopkeeper, of Stafford Street, St Marylebone
2 Thomas Cordock, gent, of James Street, Oxford Street
Premises: as above

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Assignment  P89/JN1/129  4 Apr. 1833

Contents:
1 Thomas Cordock, shopkeeper, of Stafford Street, St Marylebone
2 James Dowsing, mason, of York Street, St Margaret, Westminster
Premises: as above

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Assignment  P89/JN1/130  17 Nov. 1840

Contents:
1 Randolph Payne, wine merchant, of St James' Street, Westminster and John Vickery Broughton, mercer, of Oxford Street
2 Randolph Payne as executor of will of Sarah Hughes, widow of Thomas Hughes
3 John Hughes and Edward Septimus Hughes of 34 University Street, Tottenham Court Road, two of the sons of Thomas Hughes
4 Thomas Reginald Chamley, gent of Queen's Buildings, Brompton
5 Thomas William Hughes of 34 University Street, second son of Thomas Hughes
Premises: as in P89/JN/124 i.e., 42-45 Stafford Street and 26 Hereford Street

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Mortgage  P89/JN1/131  18 Nov. 1840

Contents:
1 Thomas William Hughes, gent, of 34 University Street
2 John Hughes, gent, of 34 University Street
Premises: as above

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Assignment of mortgage  P89/JN1/132  14 Mar. 1844

Contents:
1 Thomas William Hughes, gent, of 52 Stanhope Street, Hampstead Road
2 John Hughes, gent, of 2 North Street, Fitzroy Square
3 John Haddon, gent, of Cheapside, City of London
Premises: as above

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Conveyance  P89/JN1/133  26 Feb. 1852

Contents:
1 Revd. Robert Walpole B.D. late [...] Harewood Square, now Harewood Street, St Marylebone, Benjamin Bond Cabell Esq, MP of the Middle Temple, Frederick Madan Esq, of Northwick Terrace, St Marylebone
2 District Rector and churchwardens of district rectory of Christ Church, St Marylebone
Premises: 42-46 Stafford Street, St Marylebone, as site for National and Infant Schools (plan)

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" List of deeds for Stafford Street and Hereford Street  P89/JN1/134  1941

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Receipt from Bank for Hereford Street Trust account deposit book  P89/JN1/135  18 May 1940

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust: note of securities held by Bank  P89/JN1/136  Apr. 1948

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust: note of securities held by Bank  P89/JN1/137  Mar. 1950

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust Fund: balance sheet and copy  P89/JN1/138/1-2  1938

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust Fund: annual accounts, receipt and expenditure and balance sheet  P89/JN1/139  1938-1939

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust Fund: draft accounts, receipt and expenditure  P89/JN1/140  1939-1940

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust Fund: receipts and expenditure and statement of account  P89/JN1/141  Mar. 1939-Mar. 1940

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust: income and expenditure account and balance sheet, with copy  P89/JN1/142/1-2  1946

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Hereford Street Trust: income [...] expenditure account and balance sheet with copy  P89/JN1/143/1-2  1947-1948

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Bundle of correspondence including accounts relating to Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust  P89/JN1/144/1-43  Apr. 1937-Apr. 1940

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Artificial bundle of correspondence and papers relating to Hereford Street Trust  P89/JN1/145/1-9  1939-1950

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Receipted bill of costs, J. H. Hortin and Nash to Trustees of Christ Church Schools, relating to Hereford Street property and LCC, with covering letter from Lee, Bolton and Lee, 27 May 1941  P89/JN1/146/1-2  1937-1940

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Receipted bill of costs, Lee Bolton and Lee to Trustees of Christ Church Schools relating to exchange of land with LCC  P89/JN1/147  1939-1941

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Vouchers and correspondence concerning repairs to 27-31 Hereford Street, renamed Sherringham Street  P89/JN1/148/1-8  1937-1940

In 8 bundles

Vouchers relating to 27-31 Hereford Street  P89/JN1/149/1-2  Aug.-Sept. 1938

"Christ Church Schools and Hereford Street Trust:" Postcard from London Diocesan Board of Education concerning grant for playground of Christ Church Schools  P89/JN1/150  May 1940

Lists of applicants for Royal Bounty at Christmas and Easter from Christ Church 1860-1881 and from St Barnabas 1880-1881, with two blank application forms, 187-  P89/JN1/151/1-32  1860 - 1881

Contents:
1860-1875; 1880-1881

List of beneficiaries from Mansion House Fund from Christ Church parish, arranged street by street  P89/JN1/152  n.d. [after 1875]

Bundle of press-cuttings including:- Cutting from The Morning Post relating to the history of St John's Wood  P89/JN1/153/1  1913

History of St John's Wood, Regent's Park and its Environs published in five parts in the Hampstead and St John's Wood Advertiser  P89/JN1/153/2-6  1920

Newspaper cuttings relating to St John's Wood Chapel, Christ Church and St Stephen, Portland Town, some mounted, some loose in envelope  P89/JN1/153/7-8  1942-1947

St John's Wood Church 1814-1955 by John Oliver and Peter Bradsh  P89/JN1/154  1955

Bundle of correspondence between authors and printers of above and letters giving information about history of St John's Church, including envelope postmarked Mar. 1899, letter dated May 1907, and letter dated July 1912  P89/JN1/155/1-38  Jan. 1954-Oct. 1955

Appointment of Henry Mills, Esq of the Middle Temple as 'one of our Council learned in the Law (Great Seal, slightly chipped tin)  P89/JN1/156  22 Feb. [1861]

These two documents are contained in a wooden box

Appointment of Henry Mills, Esq as a Judge of the High Court of Judicature at Fort William in Bengal; (Great Seal, slightly chipped tin)  P89/JN1/157  10 Nov. [1863]

These two documents are contained in a wooden box

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of London Metropolitan Archives
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by London Metropolitan Archives